Monday, 17 December 2007

Interview Post-Mortem

Interview was alright. Did I just said alright? I actually meant it was CRAP on my side. Sigh dun say d la... Neway the whole thing was divided to assessment & interview. The assessment was like these…

1. Essay pick 1 out of 5. Crap almost everyone else did the 1st one, "Describe a situation where u showed leadership skills blablabla n what did u learn from it". I pulak did the one that says, "The stand against job-hopping generated different views from employers n employees alike. State your view on the matter blablabla." I hope being different gives an advantage, though I can never be too sure about stg.


2. Maths questions… more on a particular company's performance n us calculating fairly ok stuff. Only problem is time pressure.


3. Analyse the passage and state whether the inference given is true, false, or not enough info to say. Very tricky n again time is the essence here.



As I only have 2 hours of sleep the nite before, honestly, I was so blur and worn out I went home and sleep for an hour before the next session. On the bus home though, I almost had tears coz every other contestant seemed so professional & intimidating, leaving me to look childish and immature. Almost all zee girls have their make-up on. Right on charm. Stupid of me to think that natural look will potray a better outlook. Duh charm. We're judged by looks.


Ooh ooh 1 thing that made me happy when I reached home was that I receive 2 christmas cards n a Christmas gift by special delivery. Thank you Junnie & Melissa for the thoughtful card and Kam Hoe for the wonderful pink heart-shaped chocolate gift-box. I LOVE PINK N I LOVE CHOCS!


We were talking about sleep. Yes. After waking up n lunch I then put some light make-up on, feeling confident a bit, and then head on to bond street to shop with Rahim & Yan. Hahaha shopping (look-see, not buy) few hours before the main interview to release tension from the intimidating board room.


Interview was hmmm challenging yet informational. My interviewer told me lots of stuff and I did learn new things so it's cool. Though I felt I wasn't matured enough to give professional answers, especially on the Northern Rock issue.


All in all, this interview open up my outlook on different things and I definitely learned some stuff that I never knew before… Plus I did have fun at the place and meet so many new friends that are sweet and lovely… Now I have more reason to go to Lancaster, Nottingham & Manchester =)


It's definitely an experience of a life-time!




3 comments:

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Yikes. Sounds nasty.

You shoulda told me, I could have given you a history of Northern Rock in two minutes flat. I have shares you see, need to know everything happening.

Its good to be different.

I went to Kings College Uni for an interview for Medicine placement.. it was brutually hard to get placements... I was the only person not dressed up in suit and trousers, rather I had worn jeans and a sweater. Oh man did I feel like a complete ass. The guy who was calling people for the interviews was like 'you're here to interview?'... and despite the fact that the interview didn't go well - I got the placement. When I called up and asked why.. you know what they said? They said 'you were different'.

Be glad, of everyone you'll stand out.

Unknown said...

Charmine,

Yup agree...It's a good experience and you sure must have learnt a lot:)

I suggest that it is worthwhile to invest in a good daily,ie The Times or Wall Steet Journal.We as a future world class professional,I do think we need to have the most updated knowledge,not only to give professional commentary.But by referring back the past, predicting the future trend,searching for the future opportunity and act ahead than the competitor.

Haha,PwC asked you about Northern Rock? Don't they feel shame to ask you to comment about Northern Rock. Sorry for my arrogant and proud,I am never tolerate in financial matter if somebody gave the wrong remarks. I always debate with Hazel if I can't accept her remarks.It seems those PwC pro seems not too pro,that's different between an Accountant and Investment Banker.

There were a lot of debates about PwC in Northern Rock issues. PwC acts as an auditor and advisor should have identified and foreseen the Northern Rock aggressive practices,will cause a significant impact to the going concern of Northern Rock.Federal Reserve raise the interest rate more than 17 times since Ben Bernanke took over as FED Chairman to curb inflation. This cause the UK interest rates increased gradually in these few years,as well as LIBOR and cause adverse impact to aggresive financial institutions which depends on inter-bank financing like Northern Rock,Alliance & Leicester.PwC can't trigger the impact,their awareness was too weak and shameful.

What were they doing? They just know to collect 1.8m and issued a standard report.

Extracts from FT,December 5 2007,proves this:

MPs also turned their fire on PricewaterhouseCoopers, the auditors of Northern Rock, probing details of the fees it received and its exact duties and obligations.

In a series of defensive answers that frustrated many committee members, Richard Sexton, head of assurance for the firm, maintained the auditor had acted properly and explained that it was only required to consider financial reporting controls.

Michael Fallon, the leading Conservative MP on the committee, called on PwC to repay the £1.8m fees it received from Northern Rock.

Sorry if you feel I am too arrogant. I feel funny when PwC dare to ask about Northern Rock issue. I think I have the responsibility to make my comment.

charmsterk said...

Thx amit & jun li for the support =) Ok i should've gotten myself a crash course on world business news before going for the interview. I seriously do mean it bout the crash course thingy from u both fellas =)